Virginia Wine Chat — A monthly virtual gathering to discuss the wines, winemakers, wineries and regions of Virginia. (For reference — original article announcing Virginia Wine Chat.)
Our current Virginia Wine Chat schedule:
- NEXT ——> 7:30pm ——> April 24, 2014 — Barboursville Vineyards. One of Virginia’s most accomplished and popular winemaker’s, Luca Paschina will be our guest for the April 2014 edition of Virginia Wine Chat! Please join us as we learn about Luca’s background, why he came to Virginia’s fledgling wine industry from Italy nearly 25 years ago, and talk about the history of the winery and land at Barboursville. We’ll also taste three delicious Barboursville wines: 2013 Viognier Reserve, 2011 Nebbiolo Reserve, and the 2010 Octagon! Follow the #VAWineChat hashtag to join the discussion via Twitter and/or see our live interview on the Virginia Wine Chat UStream Channel (http://www.ustream.tv/channel/virginia-wine-chat). Wine fans can taste along with us too. Barboursville has made available a specially discounted ‘Virginia Wine Chat 3-Pack‘ available that includes each of the wines Luca and I will taste during the broadcast. Please call the Barboursville Winery tasting room directly (540-832-3824) to order the 3-pack to join in the tasting.
- May 22, 2014 — Rosemont Vineyards. Discovering one of southern Virginia’s gems. Winemaker Justin Rose will be our guest for the May 2014 edition of Virginia Wine Chat.
- Upcoming chats include winemakers Jake Busching at Grace Estate Winery, Nate Walsh at Sunset Hills Vineyard …
Please log in to Twitter and join us!
PAST Virginia Wine Chat Events:
- MAY 2, 2013 — Virginia Viognier. Seems appropriate to officially kick-off the inaugural Virginia Wine Chat (#VAWineChat) with Virginia’s official state grape. Virginia Rhone Ranger and winemaker at Tarara Winery, Jordan Harris (on Twitter: @TararaWinery) will be joining us online to taste and tweet about Virginia’s signature grape. Grab a bottle, or two, of your favorite Virginia Viognier and join us on Twitter at 7pm. I have emails in to a couple more vintners so this should be a great evening to tasting and tweeting about Virginia Viognier.
- MAY 16, 2013 — Virginia Red Blends. Seems even more appropriate for the second #VAWineChat to focus on some of the most notable wines in Virginia — Bordeaux style red blends. Many Virginia wine enthusiasts believe these red blends are Virginia’s ticket to more national/ international recognition (and sales). If recent Governor’s Cup results are any indicator, red blend advocates may be on to something. Open a bottle of your favorite Virginia red blend and join us. Several Virginia winemakers have confirmed they will be online to taste and tweet along with us.
- MAY 30, 2013 — A Celebration of Virginia Rosé. Summer is coming (well, already here depending on the day)… so grab a bottle of your favorite Virginia Rosé and join us to taste and tweet about Virginia Rosé. Hosted by the Marketing Office of the Virginia Wine Board (on Twitter: @VAWine).
- JUNE 13, 2013 — The Unusual Suspects, Grapes Not Commonly Grown in Virginia. Hosted by Jennifer Breaux Blosser and the team at Breaux Vineyards (on Twitter: @BreauxVineyards), this ‘chat will feature varieties that are thriving here in Virginia but not commonly grown — Nebbiolo, Albariño, Rkatsiteli, Dornfelder, Verdejo, and others. We’ll be comparing and contrasting Virginia styles to the styles from their homeland. Breaux Vineyards is offering participants 20% off orders (by the bottle) of Nebbiolo (any vintage), Seyval Blanc (Jolie Blond), and Sauvignon Blanc. You will need to use the code ‘vawinechat’ for the discount online or in the tasting room. Hat tip Stephen at Annefield Vineyards for the idea on this ‘chat topic.
- JUNE 27, 2013 — Single Vineyard Virginia Wines. The dynamic duo from Swirl Sip Snark (on Twitter: @SwirlSipSnark) will host a lively discussion on Virginia’s single-vineyard wines.
- JULY 11, 2013 —Loudoun Summer Food & Wine Pairings. The team from Visit Loudoun (on Twitter: @DCsWineCountry) will be hosting the ‘chat featuring summer wine and food pairings from Loudoun County. We’ll discuss Loudoun wines and local pairings and discuss the Loudoun County’s upcoming Epicurience.
- JULY 25, 2013 — Virginia Cider. Virginia wine’s cousin will make a cameo at Virginia Wine Chat (though, I suppose this is technically #VACiderChat). Given the popularity of cider amongst the Virginia wine set, this is sure to be a popular chat topic. Diane Flynt of Foggy Ridge Cider (on Twitter: @FoggyRidgeCider) is confirmed to join us online to discuss and field questions about Virginia cider. No doubt we’ll attract some out-of-state participation on this one.
- August 8, 2013 — Summer White Wines of the Monticello AVA. Join Early Mountain Vineyards’ Sommelier Michelle Gueydan, Allison and the team at Early Mountain Vineyards (on Twitter: @EarlyMountain) for a discussion of Summer White Wines from wineries located in the Monticello AVA.
- August 22, 2013 — Virginia Sweet and Port Wines. Allan Liska, founder and author of CellarBlog (on Twitter: @CellarBlog), will be leading us on a sweet discussion of Virginia’s dessert and Port-style wines.
- September 12, 2013 — Harvest 2013. Join Allan Liska for a discussion of harvest 2013. This will be an educational ‘chat.
- October 3, 2013 — Virginia Wine Month Kick-Off. Join the Virginia Wine Board Marketing Office (on Twitter: @VAWine) for a virtual tasting and discussion of Virginia wine history.
- October 10, 2013 — Bordeaux Blends of Boxwood Winery. Join Rachel Martin and the team at Boxwood Winery (on Twitter: @BoxwoodWinery) as we explore the red blends of Boxwood and discuss the Middleburg AVA.
- November 14, 2013 — Virginia Cider. Join Diane Flynt of Foggy Ridge Cider (on Twitter: @FoggyRidgeCider) and other Virginia cider makers for an educational evening to kick-off Virginia Cider Week.
- December 12, 2013 — Virginia Sparkling Wine. The team at Trump Winery (on Twitter: @TrumpWinery) will be our guest host winery to discuss Virginia sparkling wine. Please pick up a bottle of Trump Blanc de Blanc or SP Rose and join us to taste & tweet on the 12th. Also, watch ‘live’ via UStream!
- January 30, 2014 — Keswick Vineyards. Stephen Barnard, Keswick Vineyards (on Twitter: @KeswickVineyard) winemaker, will be our guest to kick-off the first Virginia Wine Chat of 2014! Join us for a comparative tasting and discussion of three Keswick Viogniers — 2012 Viognier, 2012 Viognier Reserve, and the 2012 Signature Series Viognier. Follow the #VAWineChat hashtag to join the discussion via Twitter and/or see our live interview on the Virginia Wine Chat UStream Channel (http://www.ustream.tv/channel/virginia-wine-chat).
- February 20, 2014 — Boneyard Wines. Winemaker Jordan Harris, Boneyard Wines (on Twitter: @BoneyardWines), will be our guest for the February 2014 Virginia Wine Chat! Join us for a tasting and discussion of Jordan’s winemaking philosophy and the story behind Boneyard Wines. We’ll be tasting: Boneyard Bubbles Blanc de Blanc, Boneyard Skin (Rkatsiteli orange wine), and the Boneyard Cabernet Franc. We’ll also have a special Boneyard wine to finish the tasting.
- March 20, 2014 — Williamsburg Winery. Williamsburg Winery Winemaker Matthew Meyer (on Twitter: @WilliamsburgTWW) will be our guest for the March 2014 edition of Virginia Wine Chat! Join us for a tasting and discussion of the history of the winery, Matthew’s background, winemaking philosophy, and of course we’ll talk about winning the 2014 Virginia Governor’s Cup.