Virginia is for Viognier Virtual Tasting
What will be in your glass on July 14?
On Thursday, July 14, at 7pm ET, dozens of wine & food bloggers throughout the US will taste & tweet about six Virginia Viogniers. (more and other details available at Swirl, Sip, Snark as well)
The Virginia Wine Board Marketing Office organized this virtual Virginia Viognier tasting to showcase Virginia’s signature grape and to introduce Virginia Viognier to wine enthusiasts throughout the US as a lead up to the Wine Bloggers Conference in Charlottesville, VA that begins on July 21. (For more information on the designation of Viognier as Virginia’s signature grape, see this post from May 6 – many excellent insights from winemakers in the ‘comments.’)
To join us in the Virginia Viognier tasting;
- Like the Viognier Night: A Virtual Tasting of Virginia Viogniers Facebook page.
- Follow the twitter stream for the hashtags #VaWine, #VaViognier, and #WBC11, on your favorite twitter platform (e.g., TweetDeck).
- Uncork a bottle of one, or two, or several, of the six featured Virginia Viogniers listed below (or, any Virginia Viognier for that matter).
Also be sure to follow these bloggers on Twitter – each of these bloggers were provided six Virginia Viogniers to participate in the virtual taste & tweet:
- Lenn @ New York Cork Report, @Lenndevours
- The Other 46, @TheOther46
- Good Grape, @GoodGrape
- Another Wine Blog, @WineWonkette @HoustonWino
- Me – Drink What You Like, @DrinkWhatULike
- Virginia Wine Time @VaWineTime
- Swirl, Sip, Snark, @SwirlSipSnark
- Cellar Blog, @CellarBlog, @Ericalj, @VaWineWoogie
- Blog Your Wine, @KrisChislett
- Simple Hedonisms, @SonomaWilliam
- Dave McIntyre, @DMWine
- The Good Wine Guru, @TheGoodWineGuru
- Ancientfire Wines, @ancientfirewine
- Wine Ophelia, @raelinn_wine
- Wine Harlots, @WineHarlots
- Creative Culinary, @CreativCulinary
- Dallas Wine Chick, @Melanie0
- Suburban Wino, @SuburbanWino
- The Wine Sleuthe, @TheWineSleuth
Below are the wines that will be included in the official tasting. Each of the wineries graciously provided wines for this tasting:
Barboursville Vineyards & Winery
Founded in 1976, Barboursville is one of Virginia’s most notable and established wineries. Check out 15 minute film, ‘Barboursville Vineyards: Fulfilling a Dream,’ for more information on the history of this winery. The Barboursville team recently completed a new 12-acre planting of Viognier vines.
Follow Barboursville on Twitter: @Barboursville and @BVilleUncorked
King Family Vineyards
Located in Crozet, VA just fifteen minutes from Charlottesville at the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, King Family Vineyards was founded in 1998. Unique to King Family is the Polo field on their property – a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon, sipping your favorite wine and watching a Polo match. Owner David King is scheduled to speak at the Wine Bloggers Conference group about the economics of Virginia wine on July 23rd. Part of the Monticello Wine Trail.
Follow King Family Vineyards on Twitter: @KingVineyards
Located in Charlottesville, VA, Blenheim was founded in 2000 by musician Dave Matthews. Part of the Monticello Wine Trail. Blenheim wines will be poured at WBC11 event on Friday evening at Monticello.
Follow Blenheim on Twitter: @BlenheimWines
Located in Louisa County, midway between Richmond and Charlottesville, Cooper Vineyards was founded in 1998. Cooper just opened a new tasting room and is currently awaiting LEED Platinum certification. For any WBC11 participants coming from the Hampton Roads (ORF airport) or Richmond (RIC airport) area, Cooper is on your way to Charlottesville. Part of the Heart of Virginia Wine Trail.
Follow Cooper Vineyards on Twitter: @coopervineyards
2010 Maggie’s Vineyard Viognier
Delaplane was founded in 1999 with the goal of crafting single vineyard wines that reflect the unique terroir of each vineyard site. Part of the Fauquier County Wine Trail.
Follow Delaplane on Twitter: @DelaplaneCellrs
NV Sparkling Viognier
Located in Orange County, VA, Horton Vineyards was founded in 1988, with the first vintage produced in 1991. The history of Virginia Viognier starts with Horton Vineyards founder, Dennis Horton.
Follow Horton Vineyards on Twitter: @HortonWine
If you have any questions about the tasting, visit the Viognier Night: A Virtual Tasting of Virginia Viogniers Facebook page, or please feel free to contact me via Twitter ( @DrinkWhatULike ) or via email.
Questions, Comments, Complaints, Random Observations? Contact Me Here